UPDATE NOVEMBER 2015
Korea Trip 2015
Students from the Academy supported by members of other New Zealand Hapkido Federation schools attended the World Kido Federation/Hanminjok Hapkido Association's 2015 Korea Trip from October 14th - October 22nd.
The Trip started in Busan (or Pusan) - South Korea's second largest city. On October 14th we were part of a cultural exchange function where we put on a display for local Hapkido students and officials. We also signed a cultural exchange protocol which should allow our Junior Hapkido students and junior Korean students to visit our respective countries in the future.
The main part of the trip was the 9th Busan Mayor's Cup World Hapkido Championships and Festival which saw our team take part in the opening demonstration in front of Lee Soo Sung - a former Korean Prime Minister and other senior Korean political and Hapkido dignatories. Our display was well received and the New Zealand brand of Hapkido received high praise for its 'hard style' of practical self defence.
(Callum Forbes demonstrating Defence against Multiple Attackers)
Entry into the World Hapkido Championships was open to all students 3rd degree black belt and under and all eligible students took part. The Championships featured self defence, patterns (forms), break fall and full contact sparring competitions. We did well in the sparring taking home a gold medal and two bronze medals. This was the first time we had ever taken part in such an event as competition is something that we have not done before in New Zealand Hapkido. We learnt some valuable lessons which wil help us do even better next time.
The team also took part in advanced Hapkido training with Grand Master In Sun Seo (10th Dan Hapkido) and other senior Hapkido masters including his eldest son Grand Master Scott Seo (who visited Upper Hutt last year) and his younger son Master Steve Seo.
We also did a lot of sightseeing visiting a traditional temple complex, a tradtional village, the Korean National Museum, the Korean War Memorial and the Imperial Palace in Seoul among others. It was a full on trip as the Koreans are excellent hosts who wanted to show us as much of their country as possible given the constraints of both the Competition and Training sessions.
The next Korea Trip and World Championships is scheduled for 2017 and we are already preparing for it!
Academy Grading Dates f0r 2015/2016
- Week starting Monday 14th December from 5 PM - End of Year Gradings and Awards.
- Tuesday 12th January from 5 PM - Junior Hapkido and all Adult Hapkido grades.
- Tuesday 9th February from 5 PM - Junior Hapkido and all Adult Hapkido grades.
- Tuesday 15th March from 5 PM - Junior Hapkidoand all Adult Grades
- January 22nd - 24th - 2016 Summer Camp at Brookfields Camp, Wainuomata. Interstyle event organised by the New Zealand Freestyle Martial Arts Assoication.
- March 5th and 6th - Master Fari Salevski New Zealand Hapkido and School Builder Seminars in Upper Hutt.
- June/July - World Kido Federation/Hanminjok Hapkido Association Member's Summit in San Francisco - details TBA.
- October - Grand Master Scott Seo New Zealand Seminar - details TBA.